- A driver learns from the past to lead the future
- A driver builds up his own trucking business
- Father and son share a love of life on the road, even if it makes visits rare
- This driver always makes time to mentor the next generation — whether at home or on the road
- This driver helps rookie truckers learn the ropes
- Home-schooling in a truck means the country is a classroom
- This driver sees the world through Google Glass
- A career trucker brings his tales of the road to people in hospice
- How driver Paul Sedlak finds motivation to reach his fitness goals
- I Love Trucking: More than a job, driving is a way of life
Hang Up and Drive
When a four-wheeler slows down, speeds up and drifts in and out of their lane, you are almost guaranteed to find the driver yakking on a cellphone or vigorously tapping out a text message.
Technology has made distracted driving an epidemic on our roads. Could more technology be a cure?
That’s the thought behind Zoomsafer, a developing software for mobile phones that goes into action when a vehicle starts moving. The driver hears a gentle reminder to drive safely, while the software shuts down texting access and screens incoming calls.
“We’re not trying to be the moral authority on phone use in the car,” says Matt Howard, founder of Zoomsafer. “Different people have different needs, so the software lets drivers whitelist some calls to ring through.”
A parent who doesn’t want to miss a call from a child, or a salesperson waiting to hear from a client will still be accessible for those calls. Any non-listed callers get a message that the person they are trying to reach is now driving.
If drivers want to text, they need to turn the application off first.
“Zoomsafer does not block the ability for a driver to send a text,” says Howard. “What it will do is offer a reminder that texting while driving is dangerous.”
Ideally, the driver who still feels the need to text will pull over.
The company is registering customers for the initial version of the software, and plans to add premium features like voice activation and automatic driving status updates for Facebook and Twitter.